Stage Of Life

Friday, August 18, 2006

TOm Yum Soup...here I come




Guess what, this is Ben and my first trip to Bangkok. Mountain tortoise right? * ha*. After working for SQ for 1 yr and 4 months, this was my first time sitting on a plane as a passenger. But irony is I took Thai Airway and not SQ. *kind of regret*. While walking into the departure hall, I saw mediacorp actor, Thomas Ong. And surpringly, he's on the same flight as me *grin*.

You must be wondering if this is my Honey Moon trip. Nope I dun think so cos firstly my parents are on this trip wz me and secondly do you call it Honey moon when we've been staying tog like 11/2 yrs before we had our customary wedding? * *...Anyway back to my trip.

Weather was ok, hot just like Singapore. Airport looked a bit old, dirty and backdated. Journey to our hotel was like about 1/2 hr. Arnoma overall looks bright and clean. And I give thumbs up for their tight security.

After changing to my most comfortable clothing, we head out hunting for lunch. There's many big shopping malls around our hotel. We went in to this mall next to our hotel and after glancing through a few eatery. We finally shortlisted MK. *ARGGGG* they do not have TOM YUM base for their steamboat...*So sad*. Anyway we still tried their vegetables soup. Ordered a few dishes and I started eating like a pig. Their dessert is fabulous too but find it too sweet. Ok bill came and know what, cost us only around SGD40.00 for just 4 of us. No wonder my friends say I can live like a King here.

We walked around the streets outside and went to pray at the four face buddha outside City of Life. A passerby told us to take 9 incense stick. *think see our blur face, know we are tourist* After our praying we decided to walk to Mabungkok (MBK). Ben was so confident he knows his way well but after walking like 15-20 mins, I've got a bad feeling we heading the wrong way and decided to take a cab. Without thinking much, I jumped straight into a METER TAXI (I thought it will be charged by meter). Little did I realise my little adventure starts here.

I told him my destination and asked him ON his meter. He looked at me and say "u want go MBK I charge you only 10 baht, if ON meter is 35 baht". I thought hey this is a good man, probably its just a short trip tat why the cheap fare. But halfway thru the ride, he suddenly asked if we know why its so cheap? COS he's got a sponsor! Sponsor meaning those jewellery shop! He wanted us to go and see some jewellery and in this way he gets free gasoline for his cab. *DARN* I should have known nothing is for free. We insisted we NOT going and ask him ON his meter but he refused and retort that he will go back to where we alight and On his meter fm there. Even though I offered 50 baht to let us alight, he still refused. Actually I am feeling scared now, I am not sure what STUNT he will pull this time and worse what if he bring me to some hideout and chopped off our hands and legs!! * I heard that story before really*. After driving a few meters, he asked us to get off. *PHEWWWW* Luckily there's a BTS (MRT) nearby. What a day!!

We contiune to shop some more but still haven't bought anything. I kept telling myself there's more things to see and buy over the next few days so better dun anyhow spend.

Shop, eat, shop and eat again. Yes, finally tasted my first authentic Tom Yum Soup in Thailand. *FLip man* was sour and realllll hot. I love it. I can feel my lips burning and perpiration forming on my forehead. *tissue pls*

At last, we went back to our hotel to rest our legs before meeting my gf Emileen at State Tower for dinner. Meeting was at 7 but mind you the traffic jam was so bad that we only reached there 45 mins later.

Dining at Dome at State Tower is Spectacular. The decor, the structure, the bar...everything look so nice. Dome is located on the 64th floor overlooking Bangkok city. You will never never get this kind of Al Fresco dining in Singapore cos of security reason *in case someone decided to jump down*. Pls pls go there if you in Bangkok ok.

The food was excellent too. I had steak and tasted heaven, the meat was really tender and juicy and big portion too. I cannot even finish it. The main course is accompanied by dessert buffet but I am already too full by then. Took a number of pictures but *idiot me* doesn't know know to operate the night mode on my digital camera so pictures turn out a bit blur.

Had a wonderful time catching up wz Emileen. Emileen thanks for everything. You know what? I really envy your career and carefree life in Bangkok. And most important thanks for being my friend for 13 yrs :) .... good nite Zzzzzzz
posted by VOnO at 11:38 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home